Melissa de la Cruz (born September 7, 1971) is an American author, particularly known for her work in young-adult fiction. Her most famous works include the Au Pair series of novels and the Blue Bloods series. She now divides her time between New York and Los Angeles, where she lives in the Hollywood Hills with her husband Michael Johnston and daughter.
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.
Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys and the tongue-in-chic handbooks How to Become Famous in Two Weeks or Less and The Fashionista Files: Adventures in Four-inch heels and Faux-Pas. She has also worked as a fashion and beauty editor and has written for many publications including The New York Times, Marie Claire, Harper’s Bazaar, Glamour, Cosmopolitan, Allure, The San Francisco Chronicle, McSweeney’s, Teen Vogue, CosmoGirl! and Seventeen. She has also appeared as an expert on fashion, trends and fame for CNN, E! and FoxNews.
After finishing her seven book Blue Bloods series, she started many new projects, among which are the Heart of Dread series (2013), a dystopia which she co-wrote with her husband, and an historical fiction series called The Ring and The Crown (2014). On top of that, she started writing the sequel to the fan-favourite Blue Bloods series set some ten years after the events of the first cycle, and was chosen by the Walt Disney Company to write Descendants: Isle of the Lost, a book prequel to the Disney animated movie of the same name which is set to be released in May 2015.
The Au PairsEdit
- The Au Pairs (2004)
- Skinny Dipping (2005)
- Sun-Kissed (2006)
- Crazy Hot (2007)
- The Ashleys: There's a New Name in School (2008)
- The Ashleys: Jealous? You Know You Are (2008)
- The Ashleys: Birthday Vicious (2008)
- The Ashleys: Lipgloss Jungle (2008)
First cycle: Blue BloodsEdit
- Blue Bloods (2007)
- Masquerade (2007)
- Revelations (2008)
- The Van Alen Legacy (2009)
- Keys to the Repository - companion book (2010)
- Misguided Angel (2010)
- Bloody Valentine - novella (2010)
- Lost in Time (2011)
- Wolf Pact - spin-off novel (2012)
- Gates of Paradise (2013)
Second cycle: Vampires of ManhattanEdit
- Vampires of Manhattan (2014)
Court of the Last PrincessEdit
- The Ring and the Crown (2014)
- Cat's Meow (2001)
- How to Become Famous in Two Weeks or Less (co-author) (2003)
- The Fashionista Files: Adventures in Four-Inch Heels and Faux Pas (2004)
- Fresh off the Boat (2005)
- Mistletoe (contributing author) (2006)
- Angels on Sunset Boulevard (2007)
- 21 Proms (2007)
- Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys (contributing author) (2007)
- Girl Stays in the Picture (2009)
- Descendants: Isle of the Lost (2015) (prequel to the Disney movie)
|This article has a gallery!|
Feel free to add images that are relevant to the topic in the proper section. If you need any help, please contact an admin.
- De la Cruz is her maiden name ; despite the fact she got married with her husband in 2002, she kept it as her professional name.
- Despite being the main author credited on all her main young adult series, she revealed her husband always helped her with those.
- Her top five favorite novels are:
- War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy.
- The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, by J.K. Rowling.
- Morningside Heights, by Chreyl Mendelsohn.
- Social Disease, by Paul Rudnick.